Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 17:05:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Simon Marlow <simonm@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Cc:        "Brett L. Hawn" <blh@nol.net>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Jim Shankland <jas@flyingfox.com>, jmb@freefall.freebsd.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ok, look folks

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Simon Marlow wrote:

> > I've run majordomo before, I hack sendmail here at the office, I think I
> > know what I'm doing. However WHENN I subscribed, I did so as blh@nol.net,
> > NOT blh@dazed.nol.net, so yes.. I got a little frustrated with the fact that
> > majordomo in its infinit crappiness, changed my subscribe address and made
> > it a nightmare to unsubscribe.
>
> It's fairly easy to forge some mail from your original email address
> to get yourself off these lists.  I've had to do it several times.
> Perhaps we should put it in the FAQ :)

I don't think so, Simon.  The folks I've helped have all had the same
problem: they are signed up under a slightly different name.  They all
have various reasons for it, and they've all been real nice when I
explained it to them.  All I ever had to do was mail majordomo for the
list of users of the list they wanted off of, then find an address that
looked close, and show it to them.  They then happily thank me, and
unsubscribe themselves.  The problem is not one of inability, it's that
they don't understand how the mechanism could possibly fail, and they get
frustrated.  Telling them how to forge mail won't help anything.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |