Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 08:49:27 -0700
From:      "Jacob S. Barrett" <jsbarrett@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ypserv reverse DNS lookup loop

I am having a problem with ypserv that I can't seem to solve.  It
appears to get stuck in a lookup loop on certain reverse DNS lookups
that don't resolve.  Here is the scenario I think is happening:

1) Mail server gets an email form mailing list and tries to verify the
server via revers lookup on the connection IP.
2) Lookup fails on /etc/hosts so it moves to named.
3) Named fails so it asks NIS. (per the /etc/host.conf)
4) NIS server asks its local DNS server who fails and asks the upstream
DNS server.
5) Step 4 repeated infinitely.

Needless to say this is probably pissing off my ISP.  I have patched the
problem by removing NIS from the host.conf file but it would be nice to
resolve this issue.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be
happening?  Do I have a configuration error or something.  If you would
like to test this on your own machines I will tell you the IP address it
always fails with if you request it.

Jacob S. Barrett
jsbarrett@acm.org