Date:      Thu,  9 Aug 2001 16:15:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Evan Sarmiento <ems@open-root.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel hooks

Hey,

Like was said in the status report, I am working on the security hooks, I released a preliminary
patch about a week ago, put it into GNATS. No one has reviewed it yet,
I was wondering if someone would be willing to take a look?

I am also writing a paper on it, I'll probably post my first draft, if anyone wants to see it.
So you can get a better idea of what I'm doing.

If you're not up on this, here is a brief description of what I'm doing:

Kernel Security Hooks provide a standard interface for programmers of kernel security
extensions to intercept system calls and other functions. Before, programmers had to wrap
the system call with their own system call, resulting in two copyins. PRFW, the kernel
security hook patch I am addressing in this PR, provides a standard interface for these
uses. It also provides per-pid restrictions, so process X might not be able to use setuid
but process Y might, depending on what restrictions you write.

Thanks a lot,