Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:23:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David A. Panariti" <davep@meduseld.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Small request for updating

   Ruben> On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 10:30:17AM -0400, David A. Panariti
   Ruben> typed:
   >> (Sorry about the empty message, shaky fingers on a small laptop
   >> keyboard)
   >>
   >> This is really a request for the security branch (RELENG_X_y).
   >> Would it be too much to ask that the updaters of UPDATING add a
   >> small comment as to whether or not a mergemaster run is needed
   >> if updating from the previous patch?
   >>
   >> I follow stable and the security lists, but being fallible I may
   >> miss something.  Mergemaster is *the* most time consuming step
   >> from my perspective since it is interactive.  If the committers
   >> knew whether or not file(s) changed such that a mergemaster was
   >> needed, that little bit of info would be a huge time saver.

   Ruben> If no file(s) changed, mergemaster will exit without needing
   Ruben> interaction.  Just make sure everytime there is a change,
   Ruben> you merge the line from the new file containing the files
   Ruben> version id string into your version of the file.
D'OH!  I had just started doing this on my last mergemaster, and
haven't done one since.  All of the previous times, I'd left version
id intact and so had tons of diffs, which always left the feeling of
a mergemaster being too much work.
While it mentions diffing ids in the manual, it didn't dawn on me
until recently that changing the id in a file with no other pertinent
changes would be so useful.

Thanks,

davep

(random sig particularly appropos :-)
--
%DCL-E-MEMBAD, bad memory
-SYSTEM-F-VMSPDGERS, pudding between the ears