Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:27:28 +0200
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Milan Obuch <net@dino.sk>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: Julian's netowrking challenge 2005

> Wouldn't a more general approach be better.  e.g. a way to "tag" a packet
> before it is sent to divert and a matching tag-lookup that can do further
> action.  This would make it very easy to do all kinds of stuff that needs to
> know the original address instead of the translated one while avoiding code
> duplication.

Having the possibility to tag a packet would be worth indeed.  But I
think that Milan wants to bring network stack virtualization in
newer release of FreeBSD IIUC.  This would be, IMO, a great improvement
of FreeBSD networking, although I'm pretty sure this would make Netgraph
people react a bit ;-).

> pf does something along these lines in case you are looking for references.

Would it be possible to share this tag among pf and ipfw ?

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen