Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:39:13 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>
To:        Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy@siliconlandmark.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd naming of releases

Hi,

Andre Guibert de Bruet wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>
>> It would be much easier for many users to understand terms like
>> "alpha", "beta" or "production" as others to it. There is not other
>> meaning in "release" as it is released but for what purpose?
>

> Release announcements usually include the expectations for the release.
> Would you run anything that said "Preview" on a production server?

It is not what you do with it but how easy it is to see what it is ment for.

> I find that the terms "alpha", "beta" and "production" do not quite fit
> the FreeBSD development paradigm. (Is RELENG_5 beta or production?)

It is pretty simple. There will be a 5.4 alpha, 5.4 beta and finally a
5.4 final if the code gets stable enough.

There would be the same for all other versions.

> PS: I'm willing to elaborate off-list (current@ probably isn't the best
> forum for this discussion).

Let also the others have some fun. We could switch the list, but to
which one?

Erich