Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 1995 04:42:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        gatliff@cel.cummins.com (William A. Gatliff)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding stuff to existing 2.0.5

> Some time ago I retrieved the binary distribution of FreeBSD 2.0.5
> from ftp.cdrom.com. I installed it using the boot floppy, etc.

> I'd like to add manpages to the installation. What's the best way
> to accomplish this? Simply choosing a custom installation seems
> to hammer my binary distribution, as if the only time I can
> use this installation utility is at system setup.

You can add additional dists by using the following:

	su
	cat $PATH_TO_DIST/manpages.* | tar xfzp -

For example, if you're installing off the cdrom:

	su
	cat /cdrom/dists/manpages/manpages.* | tar xfzp -

If I'm not mistaken, the later snapshots have a more robust sysinstall
that allows you to do this sort of thing.