Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:17:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Native JDK2 on FreeBSD update

Some good news for a change....

On August 7th, 2000, the FreeBSD JDK team was given access to Sun's JCK
(Java Compatability Kit), which will allow us to test and (hopefully!)
release a binary version using the current set of patches.
Unfortunately, we are unable (for legal reasons) to distribute a JDK
that hasn't been run against the JCK like we were able to with the
JDK1.1.* releases.

Unfortunately, as told by Sun (we have no experience *yet*), running the
JCK against the port is a difficult and time-consuming process.
Hopefully it won't take us the 3 months that Sun expects it to take. :(

Finally, there are still some issues regarding Motif that need to be
resolved before a full public release can be made.  Sun is working on
that front, and we need to try contacting the OpenGroup to see if we can
get a special exception for Motif binary distributions to use in the JDK
release.

- The FreeBSD JDK team