Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 08:59:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
Cc:        Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Did a newfs on /dev/vinum/vinum0 not the raw device

On Monday, 21 February 2000 at 21:20:20 +0200, Vallo Kallaste wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 04:59:29PM +0100, Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk> wrote:
>
>> I hadnīt discovered the /dev/rvinum when i installed vinum, so I did a:
>> newfs -v /dev/vinum/vinum0 and mounted it, and it works just fine. Im not
>> running on this systems, should I worry, did newfs autodetect the raw
>> device?
>
> You probably mean /dev/vinum/rvinum0? I can't tell you definitive
> answer as I don't know what version of FreeBSD you are running, but
> some time ago the -current version drop block device support. In
> this case you don't have the r prefix indicating "raw" device as all
> appropriate devices are already "raw" devices. If so, don't worry,
> otherwise somebody else answers your question.

Yes, he should have said which version of FreeBSD he's running, but I
suppose it's 3.X.  In that version, Vinum creates two raw nodes, in
this case /dev/vinum/rvinum0 and /dev/rvinum/vinum0.  They're both the
same, and they'll both be gone in 4.0, since block devices will be
gone.

It is possible to newfs a block device in 3.x.  It's not a good idea:
I've seen panics as a result, but it can be done, and if it succeeds,
you can assume that there are no problems.

Greg