Date:      Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:34:12 -0500
From:      Brian Poole <raj@cerias.purdue.edu>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mirror Site Requirements - Final Draft?

Quoting Joo Carlos Mendes Lus (jonny@jonny.eng.br) from 27 July 2003:
> Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
>
> >On 2003.07.27 15:27:24 -0400, Ken Smith wrote:
> >
> >>4) Directory archive sits in is /pub/FreeBSD.
> >
> >At least ftp9.freebsd.org doesn't do this... Is it that important, since
> >the FreeBSD mirror directory is mentioned in the Handbook?

Right-o. We never have either, it was known when we signed up (3+
years ago?) that this was the case. We'll either become an unofficial
mirror or add an alias to separate the OS mirrors from the rest of
our archives.

> It's important.  Think sysinstall...

Agreed, for some reason I was under the impression that sysintall had
a way of handling this but looking at the code it doesn't appear to.
Official mirrors should meet this requirement if the install scripts
don't have a method for handling mirrors with different directory
structures.  OpenBSD handles this by leaving the ftplist on the master
site and the ftplist includes the directory as well as hostname. I'm
not sure if Debian handles this correctly or not. Oh well.

> >I can see the benefit for users from having all mirrors having the
> >/pub/FreeBSD directory, but some large mirrors might like to subdivide
> >their mirrors and it would be a shame to disqualify them on this reason
> >alone.
>
> There are large mirrors that use this structure without problems.  And
> you could always use symbolic links, if needed.

And they are ugly and disorganized IMO. I never liked putting everything
in one directory and I still don't. The only way I can see us changing to
meet this requirement is splitting the OSes off onto "another server" by
aliasing another IP to the current server and having only OS mirrors
there. I'm not sure if this will be the case or if we will just become an
unofficial mirror for our campus. Will discuss it locally and let Ken or
someone know when the decision has been made.

-b