Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:03:46 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@mediacity.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: URL Based Filtering on FreeBSD

On Fri, Sep 25, 1998 at 08:45:43PM -0500, Chris Dillon wrote:
> Sigh.  Looks like Missouri is going to require that all K12 schools
> eventually implement "web-filtering" sometime in the near future.  At
> the moment we have a grant, with not much time left to use it, that will
> let us buy what we need to do this.  I was _really really_ hoping that I
> could find something that would work with FreeBSD (or BSDi, or Linux, or
> Solaris/x86, but PLEASE for the love of god don't make me use NT!).  I

As ineffective (and wrong) as this is, there exist tools to do it.  I
currently use an ad-blocker called Internet Junkbuster, by the anti-
advertising group Junkbusters <http://www.junkbusters.org/>.  You could
easily use that to do general web-filtering based on DNS or path name.

I see someone already pointed you to Peacefire; it's a good place.
Best of luck fighting this!

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                    Black holes were created
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com             when God divided by zero.