Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 2009 15:51:07 -0700
From:      Chris Palmer <chris@isecpartners.com>
To:        "ewalsh@tycho.nsa.gov" <ewalsh@tycho.nsa.gov>, "x11@freebsd.org" <x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   X SECURITY extension gone in latest Xorg; XACE not working?

Hello,

With a recent build of FreeBSD ports (I am on FreeBSD 7), the X SECURITY ex=
tension is nonexistent, and its functionality is missing. For example, "ssh=
 -X" is equivalent to "ssh -Y", "xauth -f foo generate :0.0 . untrusted" do=
esn't work, and so on. I am developing a program (http://code.google.com/p/=
isolate) that depends on being able to put X clients in the "untrusted" gro=
up. I dimly understand that XACE is supposed to replace the old SECURITY ex=
tension with new and more exciting (but compatible) behavior, but currently=
, I get no joy either way.

On OpenBSD 4.4 and Ubuntu 8.10, SECURITY still works; I assume it's because=
 their builds are old enough to not have whatever recent changes were made.

In the configure script for the xorg-server port, I found an option to re-e=
nable SECURITY, and it appears to mostly work. But normal people are not go=
ing to do that, and so won't get the security features of the extension.

Any clues, explanations of how I'm missing something, et c., greatly apprec=
iated. Thanks!

--=20
Chris Palmer, iSEC Partners
(415) 235 2888