Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 14:12:44 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Andrew Ryder <aryder@bestweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Subject:   Re: ppp/pppd

[eivind cc'd 'cos he's interested in this stuff]

> Does FreeBSD have anything for users with static ip(s) so there can be
> ppp aliasing done like on an ethernet? I saw something on the man page for
> ppp not pppd but wasnt sure if it was the type im talking about so
> basically a static ip freebsd box could have two ips same as if it did
> with ethernet.

Nope.  Currently ppp cleans the tun device when it starts up and
keeps only one IP number assigned to it.

Ppp may support multiple IP numbers in the future, but probably not
in the way you expect.

I'm thinking about the problem where a process starts up, binds a
socket and sends a packet.  The packet triggers a ppp dial and
connects but reassigns the tun interface IP number because of ppp
negotiations (this is all explained in
http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/userppp.html).  The packet goes out, the
target machine receives it and sends back a reply.  The reply has
nowhere to go because the target IP number is garbage.  The
originating process should send another packet, but, because the
socket is bound to the wrong IP number, the same thing happens again.

My plan is to treat the negotiated IP number as the primary interface
IP, and any ``old'' IP numbers are assigned as aliases.  Any outgoing
packets will have their source IP compared against each of the
aliases and will be tweaked and un-tweaked by the libalias engine so
that the peer sees them as being from the primary IP.

Whether or not the IP aliases are created in the first place will be
a configurable ``alias'' option.  Ie, the alias engine is a
pre-requisite.  Suddenly it's appropriate that both beasts are called
``aliasing'' :-)

At the moment however, ppp is undergoing a serious shuffle so this
stuff won't get done for a while.
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;