From:      "Tougas" <drtougas@telusplanet.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   problems installing ports...

Hi,

I am quite new to the FreeBSD and Unix world, and have recently installed
FreeBSD 2.2.7,  therefore these may be stupid questions, so please be
patient with me.

Here is the setup:
I did the install off of a DOS partition (I do not have a CDROM in my
FreeBSD computer), this was done by installing a large HDD in my computer
temporarily for the install, then removing it afterwards.  My FreeBSD
computer is networked to an NT machine and thus I transfer any additional
files I need to the FreeBSD machine using FTP.  The NT machine has access to
the internet via a modem connection, and the FreeBSD machine does not have
internet access.

Here is the problem:
After installing FreeBSD, I proceeded to install some of the ports I wanted.
I did this by copying the tarballs to the /usr/ports/distfiles directory and
doing the 'make install' procedure.  This worked fine.  Afterwards, I
decided to install another port, however, the version on my CD was older
than the version I wanted.  I downloaded and installed the 227update.tgz
using pkg_add (I understand this is to allow me to use the newer ports on my
older version of FreeBSD).  I downloaded the updated port skeleton and
installed it over the older skeleton, and I downloaded the tarball and again
placed it in the /usr/ports/distfiles directory.  Now when I attempt to
install the port, the 'make install' procedure does not find the tarball.  I
tried adding DISTDIR= /usr/ports/distfiles to make.conf (and tried other
directory locations as well), and this does not seem to make any difference.
No matter what I try, the tarball cannot be found, no matter where I put it.
Does this have anything to do with installing the 227update?

Another Question:
I have tried installing precompiled packages a couple of times, but every
time I try to run the program it says that an elf library is missing from
/usr/libexec.  Where do I find these elf libraries? Does this mean that the
program is actually compiled for linux and that I need to be running in
linux emulation mode?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Damien Tougas.