Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 19:40:15 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arpresolve errors

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Bill Fenner wrote:

I wrote:
> >Are messages like the one below indicative of mbuf problems, or something
> >else?
>
> Generally they're indicative of routing problems.
> >"arpresolve: can't allocate llinfo for 203.x.y.49"
>
> What's the routing table look like for 203.x.y.49?

203.x.y.48/28  203.x.y.49 UGc
203.x.y.49     203.x.y.34 UH
203.s.t        203.x.y.49 UGc

> >A check through the messages file
> >shows that it only happens to CSLIP links which are gateways to remote
> >nets/subnets.
>
> Are you using gated?  gated likes to add bogus host routes which confuse
> the routing table.  There's code in 2.2 that handles this.

Yes, I am using gated.  Yes, there are host routes, but they seem to make
sense (e.g. the one listed above) for the point to point links.  And the
PPP-connected networks on this and another 2.1.5R terminal server have
*not* exhibited this [arpresolve] behaviour, although the routing entries
are equivalent.

Thanks,

Danny