Date:      Wed, 17 May 2000 23:39:00 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD advocacy list <FreeBSD-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Book chapter on BSD published in Salon

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:

> > >In fact, there seems to be much discussion on whether Linux is better in
> > >any way, or even usable for that matter.
> >
> > Actually, some of the other chapters get into that more. The author has
> > a strong pro-Linux bias, and characterizes the BSDers as academics who
> > could develop software and coordinate their own projects but could not
> > evangelize, promote, or market.
>
> Which may even be true.  But he is in no way unfair to the BSD's, and
> he is widely read among linux people and I think this is an excellent
> "awareness" article for that audience.  If more people get interested,
> more people start using it.  I don't see what you're complaining about.

Uh, yeah.  I'd say that pretty much sums it up.  The Linuxers seem to think
of that as an advantage, where we think of it as being pure marketing bull-
shit, the same thing they accuse Microsoft of.  It's a funny philosophy;
you suck if you're better at something than us (code for BSD, marketing
for Microsoft) and yet conversely you suck if you're worse at something
than us (code for Microsoft, marketing for BSD).  I guess the philosophy
is just that you suck if you're not Linux, and reasons and justifications
don't matter.