Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 1999 00:23:29 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: writing much slower than reading...

Matthew Dillon scribbled this message on Nov 7:
>     When you write to a raw disk with your dd, it is reading a block from
>     /dev/zero into its local buffer which involves a zeroing operation
>     that the read code never had to do, then dd writes the buffer to disk.

thank you! this is exactly what I was looking for... :)

I wrote a simple test program that uses a static buffer of 1meg to read
and write from... I ran the test to transfer 512megs and their system
time is almost equal...  I knew it was something really stupid like
that...

now to find out why the bt848 card can't sustain more than 15fps when
I'm writing to the disk...  and only can do 7-8fps in 640x480... probably
something to do w/ the pci bus getting overloaded or the chipset...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 408 975 9651
  Cu Networking

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson