Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 96 22:00:13 +0100
From:      Ben Stuyts <benst@stuyts.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install problem on second drive: panic can't mount /

I am trying to install 2.1.5-Release on a system with three drives:

- The first one is an IDE drive with Win95 (master on first IDE controller)
- The second one is a SCSI drive with FreeBSD (scsi id 1)
- The third one is a SCSI drive with WinNT (scsi id 2)

The motherboard is a dual-pentium Giga-Byte DX586 with on-board 7880 scsi
controller.

I managed to get a bootmanager to boot FreeBSD, and it boots the kernel
allright. After that, it panics and reboots because it cannot mount the /
filesystem. If I disable the IDE drive in the bios, booting FreeBSD works just
fine.

I am not able to change the booting order in the bios so that the SCSI drives
would be probed before the IDE drives.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ben