Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 09:19:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        root@infovabadus.aripaev.ee (Charlie ROOT)
Cc:        mauri@mbp.ee, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with vx0 (3Com)

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Charlie ROOT
had to walk into mine and say:

> Hi
>
> Todays current doesn't see vx0 anymore... Help.

Aw, couldn't you have provided more information that this? This is not
enough to help you. It's not even enough to make a guess. (Well, maybe,
but not an informed guess.)

What kind of network card do you have that's supposed to be detected
by the vx driver? A new driver (xl) was added recently to handle all of
the 3Com Etherlink XL cards (3c900, 3c905 and 3c905B, which up until
now was not supported. The vx driver supported some of these cards,
but not fully and not very efficiently; support for the 3c90x cards
in the vx driver was disabled so that the xl driver would detect them
instead. Which one did you have, and did you look for xl0 instead of vx0?

There are two things that could have gone wrong here:

- The xl driver failed to detect your card, either because of a bug
  or because I screwed up somehow when I imported it (nobody else has
  complained about this so far though; I'll see if there's been a recent
  snapshot and snag a copy of the boot floppy to make sure it sees the
  cardson my systems).

- You used an old kernel configuration file as opposed to GENERIC
  and your custom configuration doesn't specify the xl driver. If this
  is the case, add the following line your config file under where
  it says 'device vx0':

	device xl0

  You will also need to edit your rc.conf file to use xl0 instead of
  vx0.

- The driver is in the kernel and it did detect your card, but all you
  saw were the error messages from the rc scripts saying that there was
  no such interface as xl0. Check the dmesg output, and edit your
  /etc/rc.conf file as necessary.

NOTE: If your card is a COMBO (like the 3c900 COMBO) and the driver
      selects the wrong media, use the ifmedia options to select the
      right one:

	# ifconfig xl0 media 10baseT/UTP    (for RJ-45 twisted pair)
	# ifconfig xl0 media 10base2/BNC    (for coax/thinnet)
	# ifconfig xl0 media 10base5/AUI    (for AUI)

     You can also add the 'media foo' options to the 'interfaces'
     lines in your /etc/rc.conf to insure the right media is selected
     when the machine boots.

     For the TPO cards there's only one possible media so it can't
     get that wrong, and for the 100Mbps cards it should autoselect
     the speed and duplex modes. (You can still force a particular
     mode if you want.)

-Bill