Date:      Tue, 02 May 2000 21:11:06 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, kris@hiwaay.net (Kris Kirby)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Naw, Netscape doesn't have a memory problem!

At 03:27 PM 5/2/2000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>The problem appears to be that bitmaps instanced in shared memory
>do not have their reference counts properly decremented when they
>are no longer referenced.

The problem happens in Windows, too. Certain pages (the
abcnews.go.com home page is one of them) cause recent versions
of Netscape to wrap themselves around a tree. The browser grabs more
memory, and more, and more.... Until the entire system is starved
for RAM.

I'd hoped that 6.0 would fix the problem, but it crashed immediately
after install when I tried it -- maybe because I refused to give
AOL reams of personal information about myself during the registration
process. (Their unmitigated gall is showing in the new browser.)
So, I can't tell.

--Brett