Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 15:55:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        alexus <ml@db.nexgen.com>
Subject:   Re: RELEASE 4.3 -> RELENG_4_3: SUCCESSFULLY but ...

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, alexus wrote:

> i'm more or less newbie here
>
> can you explain me why would you ever want to
>
> do cvsup+rebuild kernel every friday? what's wrong with your old kernel?

The tag "RELENG_4_3" means that cvsup only incorporates security
fixes to the kernel. This is meant for "production servers", where
you want to fool around with things the least amount possible. "If
it ain't broke, don't fix it" . 8-) .

This is about the only way to keep up with security fixes properly.
There's a new exploit happening all the time.

Actually, I watch this list for advisories and then do a cvsup.
I don't do it on a schedule, but others do.

As I said, I'm leery of updating a system running multi-user.
I'm too old for the adrelelin rush

-Jim