Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:52:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@hiwaay.net>
To:        Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How many files can I put in one diretory?

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Don Lewis wrote:
> other ways of quickly finding the desired directory entry.  Even so,
> you probably still would want to avoid doing an "ls" or an "echo *" ;-)

Heh. I once wrote a program that made 1K files until it ran out of disk
space. It took the 386DX-40 about two days to run out of inodes. The
purpose was to find some rather elusive IDE bad sectors. I soon tired of
such attempts, as I spent two days writing and another two rm'ing the
mess. newfs helped, but I had other bad sectors to deal with. I soon
removed that hard drive. I think I smashed somewhere. I was once given a
whole pile of 40 MB and 80 MB SCSI drives (3.5"). I broke a few but the
novelty wore off. It's tiring work destroying hard drives.

-----
<kris@nospam.hiwaay.net>    |