Date:      Wed, 6 Apr 2011 14:19:56 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrew Duane <aduane@juniper.net>
Cc:        "mips@freebsd.org" <mips@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Trouble making a filesystem

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 14:14, Andrew Duane <aduane@juniper.net> wrote:
> Some sample files are:
>
> /sbin/init: ELF 64-bit MSB MIPS32 rel2 executable, MIPS, version 1 (FreeB=
SD), for FreeBSD 9.0 (900034), statically linked, not stripped
> /bin/cat: =A0 ELF 64-bit MSB MIPS32 rel2 executable, MIPS, version 1 (Fre=
eBSD), for FreeBSD 9.0 (900034), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not=
 stripped

> /sbin/init works, it is statically linked. /bin/cat does not, it is dynam=
ically linked. It could be an issue with the linker not being packaged or s=
ome other configuration issue, like ldscript not being there.

Are you setting TARGET_CPUTYPE during your build?  If so, to what?
Why not 'octeon'?  I'm not sure if that's your culprit, but 64-bit ELF
with the MIPS32 ISA should be impossible and is nonsensical.

It's possible some recent rtld change broke something, but it seems
unlikely.  Dynamic binaries have certainly been working for the dozens
of other people running n64 MIPS systems, including on Octeon. Seems
strange.

> I tried the "make distribute" and it yelled at me for /base not existing.=
 DESTDIR is set to my local directory, which worked for installworld, but d=
istribute seems to forcibly override it to /base

Oh, right, I meant DISTDIR, sorry.