Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:42:43 -0400
From:      Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>
To:        'Doug Young' <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: PPP Stuff

Ok, well you hadn't properly explained your situation in that e-mail.  I
understand that man pages are above your head, I at time I know the feeling,
but you do need to learn how to read them if you plan on using unix
regularly.

See below.

	Technically, I don't know exactly what it does other than display
some IP information.  The purpose of this was to determine the ip address on
the other side of the link... which you appear to already know.

> > Whatever is listed as his address type in the following
> > >add 0 0 HIS_IP_ADDRESS

	Ok, so 'add 0 0 203.3.126.1', this can be added to the config file,
but that can be dealt with at a later time.

> As I understand it, the other end is always 203.3.126.1, and my
> end is always 203.3.126.129 but with subnet 255.255.255.248,
> so does that mean I still use your entry above which seems to refer
> to dynamically assigned IP addresses ??.

	This was my assumption, as more dialups are dynamic.  Now I know
better.  You do still need to add the route.  I'm not to sure about setting
up the subnet mask, but to my knowledge since ppp is a point to point link
you shouldn't be dealing with that at all.  Hopefully someone else on the
list a little better versed then I would be able to answer that.

> > Check out set log on the man page for help on debugging.
>
> I'm afraid my level of knowledge is more like pre-school level ..... MAN's
> all seem to be post-graduate level, so I don't comprehend 99% of them

	Keep trying, and asking questions, it'll start to make sense after a
while.

> > Re-read the pedantic ppp primer again, it should get you on the
> > right track.
>
> I know its an excellent doc, I've been through it maybe 50 times but its
> still miles over my head :(
>
>  One thing you need to find out is if your ISP supposes PAP or
> > CHAP authentication.
>
> Only the old style unix thing, that prompts for username & password.
> At my level, typing in username & password is something I can do, as
> long as it does the job, but unless its totally essential for some reason
> or
> other I'd rather save the frustration of messing with chat scripts to
> those
> who understand a lot more than me Am I missing something here ...... it
> seems that I am making a successful login with PPP running, so why do I
> need to get into chat scripts anyway ??

	Chap or pap would be nice because it GREATLY simplifies automating
the login process.

> > ppp -ddial entry_in_pppconf

	I feel your pain, but I'm going to keep pushing man down your
throat.  From 'man 8 ppp'
	        -ddial
	             This mode is equivalent to -auto mode except that ppp
will bring
	             the link back up any time it's dropped for any reason.

	What does auto do you ask?  It automatically dials the isp whenever
a connection is requested, and generally drops the connection after lack of
use.  Since you want the connection to be 24/7 you use -ddial instead, which
will attempt to stay dialed 24/7.   ENTRY_IN_PPPCONF refers the the enter in
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf that you need to create for this to work.

	Again read /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample for information on how to set
this up.  There are also examples in the P. PPP Primer.

> Please explain what this does
> >
> > Nothing, you want ppp -alias.  This will enable network address
> > translation (NAT or IPMasq to linux users).  Also, the other boxes on
> the
> > net need to have the BSD machine set as the gateway.
> >
> As far as I know ..... NAT / IPMasq is for people without "real" addresses
> isn't it ??
> I was hoping the fact I have real IP addresses would remove the need for
> at
> least some of the messing around with stuff like that

	Again, I didn't know that you have real IPs for the machines behind
the FreeBSD machine.  You don't need the -alias option then.  Also you need
to look at /etc/rc.conf and /etc/defaults/rc.conf on enabling your system as
a gateway.

> > They are very relevant.  If you can get ppp -auto (dial on demand)
> > to work, then ppp -ddial will also work with little or no modification.
> >

> like I said .... even the Pedantic doc is way over my head ..... to get
> down
> to the real essentials, is autodial what I need ?? The situation here in
> OZ with
> phone lines & charging policies is such that I would prefer the connection
> stays up
> permanently, if anything, the ability of auto-dial ability to dial and
> disconnect at will
> is a disadvantage.

	As I said, you want ddial (dedicated dial) instead of auto since
ddial will attempt to keep the connection up as long as possible.

	The other alternative is to use -auto with a timeout of zero (set
timeout 0 in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf) this will only dial out when needed but
won't drop the connetion unless the other side of the connection drops you
1st.

	One last thing, please, always CC: the mailing list any replies
unless there is a specific reason to keep the conversation private.  You'll
get more assistance that way and it helps others who are in a similar
situation to learn from the answers to your questions.

	-Chris