Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 22:31:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, jabley@clear.co.nz, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding DHCP client to src/contrib/

John Birrell wrote:
> Steve Kargl wrote:
> > >
> > > Explain how I am to install FreeBSD at my campus when DHCP has been
> > > mandated.  Many univ. are moving in this direction.
> > >

> > Maybe, support WC by purchasing the cd-rom?
> >
> > Convince your University to get a large quantity of cd-roms
> > from WC and resell the disks to the students?
>
> Or convince FreeBSD developers to simply add a DHCP client to the base
> sources and build a boot/install floppy with that functionality.
> No user cost. No user hassle. Why not?! Sigh.

David's original email said he was going to commit without giving
a justification.  I call it bloat, then the justifications pour in.
I'm now convinced it may be a good thing with a security audit.

However, if every committer starting to push his (pet) software
as candidate for the base distribution, then the base will
grow without bounds.  How long did it take to kill tcl from
the base distribution, and how long will it take to kill f2c?

--
Steve