Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 1997 17:10:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best processor?

> > > Therefore bus utilization is likely less with the PII.  Even in the
> > > case of a 512K cache, the bus utilization is going to be nearly the
> > > same.
> >
> > Not quite.  The PII has to 'spin' alot more waiting for data since it
> > can't get to it at bus-speeds, while the PPro doesn't have to.  Going
> > from 256 -> 512K doesn't equal a double in cache performance (I'd
> > suspect somewhere around 15-20% at best), so I would think the two #'s
> > would be close to break-even.  If you get a 512K PPro it would be a big
> > win.
>
> Bus utilization doesn't have as much to do with the processor as what
> the processor appears to be to the memory subsystem.  A 512K PPro should
> have a bus utilization similar to a 512K PII.  Sure, the traffic between
> the processor and 2nd level cache will be slower (due to the 1/2 speed)
> and different (due to the double sized 1st level cache.)  That isn't what
> I said though.

True.  But, the 'speed' of the system is only partially related to the
bus utilization.

> > > 2) Expect about 3-5% miss rate with an 8K or 16K 1st level cache.  (I
> > > have really measured it on real applications.)
> >
> > Heck, let's use the #'s from Hennessy and Patterson...
>
> Sorry, but I measured it running real programs, like gcc, etc.  Note that
> I seldom saw an 11% L1 miss rate (of course, you can make it miss using
> synthetic benchmarks, but that is not what I am talking about.)

My version of the book is pretty old, and much has been done since then,
but the principles are still valid.

..
> measured though.  What was the line size on those caches?  Maybe I'll
> finally have to buy a copy of H&P to see what they are talking about.

Highly recommended.

> > I'd like to see real #'s to back that up.
>
> Well, someone just posted a benchmark that showed that at least on PII was
> faster than my PPro (I think that it was the semspeed benchmark.)

That was a 266Mhz PII in  UP setup, wasn't it?  I expect it to beat it,
but in DP (or more), no-one has made any benchmarks.

> Now, the only thing that I can believe to be fact at this point:
>
> 	a 4-WAY P6 beats all PII configs.
> 	a P6 (per MHz) is mostly faster than a PII.
> 	a P6 system is likely faster than a PII system, if you need
> 		more than 512MB.
> 	a P6-233 is seldom slower than a PII-233.
>
> I don't think that any claims can be made that in general:
>
> 	a dual P6-200 Natoma sys is faster than a dual PII-233 LX system.

I remember seeing someone claiming that that was indeed the case, and
they had #'s to back it up.  And not just a bit faster, *Significantly*
faster, so much that if I remember right I was thinking that a
2*PPro@200 would *still* be faster than a 2*PII-266, and possibly even
at 300, though that would be a harder one to judge.

> If we find out that a dual PII/233 or PII/266 is slower than a dual P6-512K,
> that would be VERY INTERESTING!!!  Anyone willing to take up the challenge?

If I remember right, there are numbers in the archives.  Does anyone
remember them?  I don't have time to wade through the archives (playing
with mame right now. :)

Nate