Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 20:19:30 +0100
From:      Paul Robinson <paul@akita.co.uk>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.org, Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
Subject:   Clustering efforts (was Re: Is this list dead?)

On Jul 24, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> NFS client locking is "fixed" in -current already.  You can bug Alfred
> Perlstein <alfred@FreeBSD.org> about getting a patchset against 4.x to test
> with and possibly get it MFC'd.  I would do this soon as 4.4. is coming up in
> late August.

I might shoot off a mail, try and get a patchset sorted out and I can do
some testing on 3.x, 4.3-RELEASE and maybe even current at a push. Glad to
hear it's in -current - it will save me some evenings, and I will need it in
a few weeks for a project I'm working on.

> This is part of the problem.  Everyone has different ideas of clustering.  Some
> people just want load balancing and failover.  Other people want things like
> distributed lock managers, processes that migrate between machines, virtual
> memory shared across machines, etc.

OK, so what clustering efforts are currently underway, and what are their
objectives? The list archives are, like I say, dead, so please feel free to
shout at me if there is a bunch of documentation out there explaining this
that I've missed.

My effort (for what it's worth) is over the next few months to go about
producing web, mail, ftp and sql server distros that will work in
failover/load balanced clusters. The fact that I can't find any detailed
documentation on doing this with FreeBSD with out-of-the-box tools (at a
push, a quick dive into ports), tells me that either documenting this up and
making it available will be either a useful exercise benefiting many people,
or will be completely redundant due to the fact I'm missing the point and
this has been done to death already and I can't find it.

However, I'm also intrigued by the idea of something beowulf-like for FBSD.
Are there any projects like that at all underway?

Again, sorry if I'm missing the obvious.

--
Technical Director @ Akita      | A computer lets you make more mistakes
                                `-----