Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 17:25:15 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates and async

On Thu, 14 May 1998, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> Ok, it turns out you need the filesystem mount sync to use softupdates.
>
> My understanding was: softupdates are faster then sync and safer
> then sync. Is not async still faster, even at the expense of safety?

Softupdates are sometimes faster and sometimes slower.  It's faster when
the combination of operations allows you to skip writing to disk at all.
It's slower when you have to undo-then-write and redo-then-write.  But I
don't think it is really ever significantly slower than async writes.
Softupdates does use more memory so this would probably be the only reason
to use async.

> Will I be able to combine async and softupdates in the future and why
> would I want to?

No, they are mutually exclusive.  If you do a write it is either sync
(default), async, or delayed (softupdates).  You'd have no reason to
combine them unless you want to get undefined behavior.

Regards,

Mike Hancock