Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:53:56 -0700 (MST)
From:      Technical Director <trodat@ultratrends.com>
To:        K Anderson <freebsduser@comcast.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFW & ICMP

Hello,

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but, snort as with other traffic shapers
and dumpers take actual traffic from the network card prior to the
firewall/kernel getting it. The rule is in place and as long as you see
numbers in the first two columns in the following command:

ipfw -a l [INSERT_YOUR_FW_RULE_FOR_ICMP_BLOCKING]

##### 0 2300 deny icmp from any to me via ed0

then your rule should be fine. If it's zero then the rules above it are
stopping any activity that this rule might have on incoming packets.

R.