Date:      Fri, 26 Jul 2002 19:54:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        raiden@shell.core.com (Steven Lake)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tar and RM

> 	Hi all.  Two quick questions.
>
> 	1.  I want to tell Tar to just grab a single directory and all the
> directories and files below it and keep the atributes, permissions,
> path's, etc intact.  I've read the man file, but its not making much
> sence.

Just a simple tar will do:

   tar cf /some/place/with/room/mydir.tar /usr/local/dir_to_tar

Will tar up everything in /usr/local/dir_to_tar and make
a tarfile called mydir.tar in /some/place/with/room/
All file names will have full paths within your current when you
untar them later
as in  /usr/local/dir_to_tar/coolpic.jpg

If you don't want it to have all the directory structure on
the file names in the tar file, then cd closer to the directory.

  cd /usr/local
  tar cf /some/place/with/room/mydir.tar dir_to_tar

Will do it with file names relative only to  dir_to_tar
as in  ./dir_to_tar/coolpic.jpg

  cd /usr/local/dir_to_tar
  tar cd /some/place/with/room/mydir.tar *

will make the tar file with names relative to current directory where-ever
that is when you do the untar.
as in ./coolpic.tar

I will let someone else respond to #2 below.

////jerry