Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:29:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ralph Huntington <rjh@mohawk.net>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        "Sergey N. Voronkov" <serg@tmn.ru>, Nick Maschenko <mnvhome@mail.ru>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: Re: A question about FreeBSD security

> > I prefer to use IPF 'cose of it's stateful filtering.
>
> IPFW can keep state as well.

Ah, but do they keep state in the same way? How is that accomplished?
Is one as secure as the other in this regard?

My understanding (someone please correct me if I am wrong) is that IPFW
relies on the incoming packets' own headers to infer the established
state, whereas IPF keeps a table of outgoing packets (when told to keep
state) and matches incoming packets to the entries in the table to
determine if they are actually in response to an outgoing packet.

This seems to indicate that packets could be spoofed to fool IPFW
regarding state. Would someone more knowledgeable about these firewalls
please comment on this? Thank you very much. 	-=r=-