Date:      Fri, 15 Oct 1999 22:11:19 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISA Plug 'n Play support / kernel -c bug / IETF

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Graham Wheeler wrote:

> Hi all
>
> While PCI plug 'n play devices seem to work nicely with FreeBSD, we find
> that ISA ones are not detected and that we have to configure them as though
> they are not plug 'n play. Is the pnp0 controller in the kernel config for PCI
> only? Or is there a way to get the ISA ones to be automagically detected
> upon bootup? Maybe with some BIOS tweak?

4.0 will have a complete PnP system, including automagic detection
and configuration, support for pnpbios (and probably acpi). The code is in
-current now and being tested. By the time 4.0 ships we should have enough
drivers so that you can have a kernel config with *no* custom settings at
all and it will detect all your hardware magically.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com