Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:56:19 +0200
From:      patpro <patpro@patpro.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Subject:   Re: temperature acquisition on FreeBSD

>> What I would do today is continue to use the Dallas Semiconductor
>> temperature probe devices and just drive them from the Dallas
>> 1-wire to RS-232 serial port adapter.  You'll need some additional
>> software to discover, address, fetch and convert measurements from
>> each of the probes as compared to the Spiderplant box.
>>
>> As far as software, you can start with /usr/ports/comms/mlan or
>> /usr/ports/comms/mlan3 to talk to the adapter.

If I understand well, you're talking about this device :

https://store.ibutton.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/
ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2531&prmenbr=776

But it looks like one can only plug 1 probe, and by the way, I can't
find simple temp probes.
The starter kit looks good
(http://www.ibutton.com/ibuttons/1921Kit.html) but the DS9097U-S09 has
no addressable 1-Wire chip onboard. And it seems it uses TMEX driver,
so I'm not sure mlan or mlan3 freebsd ports can read data from it.

Thermocron looks really good too
(https://store.ibutton.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/
ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2438&prmenbr=776) and is apparently supported by
mlan :

# thermodl
usage: thermodl 1wire_net_name <output_filename> </Fahrenheit>
   - Thermochron download on the 1-Wire Net port
# thermoms
usage: thermoms 1wire_net_name </Fahrenheit>
   - Thermochron configuration on the 1-Wire Net port

So now, will TMEX driven hardware work on FreeBSD with mlan ? and does
anybody have experience pluging more than one temp. probe on the
DS9097U adapter family ?

regards,

patpro