Date:      Sat, 8 Jul 2000 13:11:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      papowell@astart.com
To:        chuckr@picnic.mat.net, papowell@astart.com
Cc:        andrews@technologist.com, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, drosih@rpi.edu, imp@village.org, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, sheldonh@uunet.co.za, will@almanac.yi.org
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

> From chuckr@picnic.mat.net Fri Jul  7 19:33:05 2000
> Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 22:32:48 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
> To: papowell@astart.com
> cc: drosih@rpi.edu, imp@village.org, andrews@technologist.com,
>         arch@FreeBSD.ORG, nik@FreeBSD.ORG, sheldonh@uunet.co.za,
>         will@almanac.yi.org
> Subject: Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues
>
> On Wed, 5 Jul 2000 papowell@astart.com wrote:
>
> > I am surprised at the concern of the licensing issue, so let me explain
> > the development of the LPRng code and how the license issues evolved.
> > If you are not interested in the following topics skip them.  But please
> > take the time to read the last one.
>
> If we can't get you to release LPRng under a BSD license, and our present
> lpd *does* have such a license, then I don't think I can make too good a
> case that LPRng is not better than lpd, but I can really easily make a
> case that bringing in LPRng is going to hurt an important segment of
> FreeBSDers (commercial users of FreeBSD).  Not bringing in LPRng isn't
> going to hurt much, since a nice port is available via
> ports/sysutils/LPRng.

As I not in my posting,  I am not adverse, and quite willing to put it
under BSD license,  but I would like to be able to have the actual executable
'identify its lineage' in some way,  so that it is identifiable as the
'True Code',  modified by somebody,  or 'modified by corporation X'.

This is perfectly reasonable and common.

> <Personal rant>
> On top of that, and this is a purely personal feeling, I think needing a
> banner to print out every time your software starts up, well, that's a bit
> much too.  Sources, yes.  Requiring your copyright to be in some very
> available file, that's fine too.  God, things would look pretty stupid if
> all of our utilities decided they needed to print a banner (even if it's a
> one or two liner).
>
> Why shouldn't the writer of "echo" get a banner too?
> </Personal rant>

h9: {27} % perl -V
Summary of my perl5 (5.0 patchlevel 5 subversion 3) configuration:
  Platform:
    osname=freebsd, osvers=4.0-current, archname=i386-freebsd
    uname='FreeBSD freefall.FreeBSD.org 4.0-current FreeBSD 4.0-current #0: $Date$'
    usethreads=undef useperlio=undef d_sfio=undef
  Compiler:
    cc='cc', optimize='undef', gccversion=2.95.2 19991024 (release)
    cppflags=''
    ccflags =''
    stdchar='char', d_stdstdio=undef, usevfork=true
    intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8
    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
    alignbytes=4, usemymalloc=n, prototype=define
  Linker and Libraries:
    ld='cc', ldflags ='-Wl,-E -lperl -lm '
    libpth=/usr/lib
    libs=-lm -lc -lcrypt
    libc=, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so.3
  Dynamic Linking:
    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' -Wl,-R/usr/lib'
    cccdlflags='-DPIC -fpic', lddlflags='-Wl,-E -shared -lperl -lm '

h9: {18} % awk -W version
GNU Awk 3.0.4
Copyright (C) 1989, 1991-1999 Free Software Foundation.

(at your option) any later version.

Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA  02111-1307, USA.

h9: {455} % lpr -V
LPRng-3.6.20, Copyright 1988-2000 Patrick Powell, <papowell@astart.com>

I am a little bit baffled on this.  What are you talking about?
I note carefully that you have to provide the -V option to cause this to happen,
as does perl (perl -V) and awk (awk -W version, actually).

So, are you objecting to the awk -W or perl -V command as well?
I don't understand the cause of the <personal rant>.