Date:      Tue, 06 Aug 1996 10:26:07 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        Brian Maloney <vond@vt.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re:

Brian Maloney wrote:

> Ok, I've been saving up a bunch of minor questions and now that I am about
> to go back to school and start REALLY using FreeBSD again, I better ask.

Welp, You would probably get better responces with each question
in a different posting..

I'll try to answer the ones I can..

> 1)
>
> I recently changed the addresses of my Sound Blaster AWE32 PnP from port
> 0x240, IRQ 9, DMA 1, 5, to 220-5-1-5.  These are MORE normal settings but
> the card doesn't work anymore... I used -c to reconfigure AND tried a kernel
> recompile..  Should I just change it back?

What else is using IRQ5. A network card or modem maybe??

> 2)
>
> I have just added a 3com Ethernet card...  The FAQ says the card will work
> with FreeBSD if I turn PnP off but there are no obvious jumpers or switches
> on the card... How do I turn PnP off?

I *Belive* (I don't use 3com products) that you have to use a
dos based utility.. Something like 3comcfg.exe
(3comcfg.exe is a guess)

> 3)
>
> I have a Conner (now Seagate) TapeStor 3200 tape drive as the second device
> on the floppy controller.  Any chance of getting FreeBSD to recognize it?  I
> added a proper ft line to the kernel and recompiled:
>
> tape            ft0     at fdc0 drive 1
>
> But it just detects 2 1.44 floppies.  Ok, well thanks in advance for any help.

I couldn't get ft to work in that setup, I wound up having to add
a second floppy.. I must admit, I didn't try to hard either!

My relevant section:
controller fdc0 at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk  fd0 at fdc0 drive 0
disk  fd1 at fdc0 drive 1
tape  ft0 at fdc0 drive 2

If that peticular tape drive is supported I have no idea!

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848