Date:      Wed, 09 Oct 2013 06:53:32 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update upgrade -r 7.4-RELEASE-p12

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013, at 22:32, Mike Brown wrote:
> alexus wrote:
> > ok, I just did fetch & install and got bumped from p5 to p9
> >
> > # uname -a
> > FreeBSD XX.XXXXX.org 7.4-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 7.4-RELEASE-p9 #0: Mon Jun 11
> > 19:47:58 UTC 2012
> > root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> >  amd64
> > #
> >
> > can I take it all the way to -p12?
>
> -p10 through -p12 probably didn't involve any kernel changes. Bumping the
> reported patchlevel isn't considered important enough to warrant building
> new kernel.
>
> If your sources are in /usr/src, do this:
>
> grep -v # /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh | head -4

If he had sources on the box he probably would have just compiled the
fixes himself. The version number shouldn't be embedded in the kernel
like that so it's easier for people to audit their systems. I have VMs
right now in Xen that report different FreeBSD versions and it's
confusing for other sysadmins who aren't intimately familiar with
FreeBSD. Some were updated by freebsd-update, some were updated by src.
But they don't report the same OS version so I get asked why we haven't
updated those servers yet....