Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:25:10 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating MP3's under FreeBSD...

Marc G. Fournier:
 |I just picked up a bunch of CDs that I'm hoping to convert to MP3s (more
 |variety to shuffle through 130 songs vs having to swap CDs)...is there any
 |software that works under FreeBSD that will allow me to create them?

Newer versions of mpeg_musicin/out pkg support both MPEG audio layers II (.mp2)
and III (.mp3).  (Fxtv will use this pkg, if installed, to encode audio
captured off TV in MPEG format.)

I've attached a snippet from the Fxtv README which describes how to get and
build the pkg (at the time, the port on ftp.freebsg.org was out of date --
don't know if its been updated yet or not).

Randall

APPENDIX A - BUILDING MPEG LAYER 2 & 3 ENCODER SOFTWARE

  First, grab dist10.tar.gz from:

  ftp://ftp.tnt.uni-hannover.de/pub/MPEG/audio/mpeg2/software/technical_report
  http://multiverse.com/~rhh/fxtv, or

  Then:

  tar -zxovf dist10.tar.gz
  cd dist10/dist10/lsf/encoder
  configure
  gmake
  mv encode /usr/local/bin/mpeg_musicin
  find tables -print | cpio -dumpv /usr/local/lib/mpegaudio
  cd ../decoder
  configure
  gmake
  mv decoder /usr/local/bin/mpeg_musicout

  and finally, put this env var setting in your profile:

  MPEG_AUDIO=/usr/local/lib/mpegaudio/tables

  NOTE:  For every last pinch of speed, after each "configure", modify
  the Makefiles and change "-O" to "-O3 -ffast-math -mfancy-math-387".

  NOTE:  An older version of this software is packaged as the FreeBSD
  "mpeg_audio" port, but it doesn't like some AIFF files (byte order
  problems), and it doesn't seem to do Level 3 audio.  dist10 does.