Date:      Sat, 03 May 2014 12:48:26 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Everett <tom@0x544745.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Dockstar: U-Boot / ubldr?

On Sat, 2014-05-03 at 12:42 -0600, Tom Everett wrote:
> For wandboard, I used this patch:
>
> https://github.com/kientzle/crochet-freebsd/blob/master/board/Wandboard/files/uboot-2013.10_include_configs_wandboard.h.patch
>
> I also chose to use a u-boot scr file rather than apply a pile of
> patches to u-boot to set the boot config.  My hope was that when it came
> time to move to the next u-boot version I would not have to update as
> many patch files.
>
> The source of the scr file is here:
>
> https://github.com/kientzle/crochet-freebsd/blob/master/board/Wandboard/files/boot.txt
>
> The code in setup.sh to build the scr file is:
>
> #
> # build the u-boot scr file
> #
> strategy_add $PHASE_BOOT_INSTALL uboot_mkimage "files/boot.txt" "boot.scr"

It's crazy how much weird stuff they're cramming into u-boot default
environments now.  It's almost like they're having some sort of "I'm
more clever than you with this primitive scripting language" contest.

I tend to go minimal, this is my typical u-boot env:

=> printenv
baudrate=115200
bootcmd=run ubmmc
bootdelay=2
fdt_file=wandboard-quad.dtb
loadaddr=0x11000000
loaderdev=net
ubmmc=fatload mmc 0 ${loadaddr} ubldr; bootelf
ubnet=dhcp ${loadaddr} /wand/boot/ubldr;bootelf

Environment size: 279/8188 bytes

-- Ian