Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 11:29:05 +0100 (BST)
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
To:        "Vladimir A. Petrov" <V.Petrov@VAZ.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM mounting by nonprivileged user

Vladimir A. Petrov said:
>Hello!
>
>I just set a LAN file server with FreeBSD 2.2.6-STABLE and Samba-1.9.18.4.
>Now I have a small problem. This machine has a IDE ATAPI CD-ROM drive
>that must be accessable from other machines (with windows 95 in most
>cases) over the LAN by any user, but mount operation for CD allowed
>for priveleged user only.
>
>Is there are any method to automate CD mounting and unmounting at
>CD insertion and removing accordingly?

Yes - amd (the automounter daemon).  It's a bit of a bear to configure but
worthwhile when you do get it going.  You should definitely read the
detailed manual: just run 'info' and it should be somewhere on the main
menu.

For your situation you need to set up a 'program mount' and them export it
using Samba.  I posted a reply to someone else about amd last week; check
the -questions archive for 'program mount' and you should find it.  If you
need an example map file that does what you want let me know and I will
send it to you.

HTH,

	Scott