Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2005 19:06:55 +0000
From:      Danny Horne <cloudmaster@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Change to different SCSI interface causes boot failure

Hi all,

I'm trying to replace the motherboard in my FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE
server for a different one.  The old board has on-board Adaptec
AIC-7896N SCSI, the new one has on-board Symbios Ultra3 SCSI, on
bootup I get the following error -

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/da0s0a
setrootbyname failed
ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
Rootmount failed:6

Is there any way I can boot the drive on this new interface?

I've searched the archives & found a similar problem in which the
solution was to use dump to create a backup & do a fresh install of
FreeBSD on the new system before restoring the backup.  If I have to
take this route I might as well upgrade to 5.3, but I understand this
uses a different filesystem to 4.11, so would this give problems with
a restore from a 4.11 dump?

Thanks for all replies