Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 23:24:39 -0500
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Subject:   Re: serial console + boot blip

In a message written on Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 07:58:58PM -0800, Terry Lambert wrote:
> If you could describe *exactly* what behaviour you wanted and
> *exactly* when you wanted it, someone could probably give you
> a better approach to what you are trying to do thatn futzing
> with the gettytab.

Ok, let me add some detail, because I think this is a fairly common
setup:

I have a Cisco terminal server (think 2511) connected to the console
of a PC running FreeBSD.  I am using the standard Cisco 9 pin
adapter on the PC.  The terminal server is configured a la:

line <x>
 modem Host
 transport input telnet
 stopbits 1
 flowcontrol hardware

On the PC, I do "-P" in /boot.config, "set console=comconsole" in
/boot/loader.rc (which I am told is redundant with -P), and I
changed the console line in /etc/ttys to:

console "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   unknown on secure

Now, consider a fully booted PC (with no keyboard, so it used the
serial console).  If I connect to the terminal server (telnet
termserv 200<x>) I get the console login prompt.  I can log in,
and do normal unixy things.  Most importantly, when I type "exit"
the telnet session automatically closes.  The terminal server is
catching some signal (DTR, I believe) and terminating the telnet
session.

So far this is _exactly_ what I would like.

Now, consider the machine is turned off.  You cannot connect to
the terminal server, because it never gets a signal from the PC
(DTR again, I believe).  I can live with that.  It means if you
want to catch the loader prompt you have to keep trying over and
over when the tech turns it on, annoying but probably hard to work
around (and leave my above logout functionality).

So, I get in and see all of the kernel boot messages.  As soon as
the kernel spawns init (the change from bold to normal video on a
CRT) the terminal server closes the connection.  You can in fact
jump right back in and see the other boot script messages (fsck,
network config, etc).  You end up right back at the login prompt.

It is the getting kicked out between the kerkel and init starting
that is bothering me.  Something is changing the serial port settings
at that time in a bad way.

This is a fairly minor problem, but since it works so well "out
of the box" with the default Cisco parts, it seems we should be
able to make it work 100%.

--
       Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org