Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 01:50:22 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        john cooper <john@isi.co.jp>, grog@lemis.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au, ticso@cicely.de
Cc:        john@isi.co.jp
Subject:   Re: SCSI vs. DMA33..

At 01:41 PM 11/11/98 +0900, john cooper wrote:

>Hi,
>    Just wondering if anyone has any _objective_ opinion on
>the performance of say wide SCSI2 vs. DMA33 IDE drives [running
>on contemporary motherboards].  The theoretical throughputs of
>40MBs and 33MBs don't tell me a whole lot.  I know SCSI was the
>choice for performance in the past, however I'm curious what
>others are seeing in actual usage these days.
>
>Thanks,
>
>-john

Well I'm running Windows 95 on this one, and it has 2 UDMA (6.4 and 7.0 gig
Maxtor UDMA-2) drives, which run VERY fast (As a matter of fact,
CEQuadrat's WinOnCD says I could use 8x+ writer from data on them), which
is a better thing than my older EIDE drives.

At the same time, my 4.3gig Fujitsu SCSI2 on the integrated AIC-7895 does
an ok job as well for throughput.

So I'd say they're relatively close in performance for my A/V requirements
and all, individual results will vary.  Many people say Maxtor drives are
crap, but I have had no problems with mine and they've been burnt in,
dropped, thrown, and various other things.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange 207-942-0275
http://www.droo.orland.me.us
My Latest Kernel: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT (ONEEX) #14: Mon Oct 19 22:36:58 EDT 1998