Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 2009 16:12:20 -0800
From:      Robert <traveling08@cox.net>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (MORE INFO) Ext firewire drive not mounted after update

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 17:15:39 -0600
Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> wrote:

> In the last episode (Nov 13), Robert said:
> > On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 13:01:47 -0800
> > Robert <traveling08@cox.net> wrote:
> >

> > It appears that some thing is amiss with the latest version. I will
> > download the latest livefs iso and see if that works.
>
> I think I remember seing a posting within the last few days saying
> that the "sbp" device wan't going to be compiled into the 8.0-release
> kernel due to it causing hangs on boot.  If you run "kldload sbp" as
> root after the system has booted you should see your disk devices
> appear.
>
> I can't find the list post mentioning it, but here's the svn commit
> log:

Dan

Thanks for responding. I checked and the "sbp" device is in fact
commented out. I do remember a thread a month or two back about some
folkes having trouble with firewire drives. I never experiem=nced any
trouble on of that trouble on this system.

I can continue to operate my drive on USB but I may need firewire in the
near future. I have a friend who is a photographer and I archive her
photos for her. She sends me an external drive or two and I burn
her projects onto DVD. I am not sure if her drives have an USB
connector.

I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Thanks again for the prompt response. If anyone needs me to test
possible fixes for this, I am willing and available.  Cheap too :-)

Robert