Date:      Fri, 7 May 1999 15:50:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        chris@calldei.com, "Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich@acl.lanl.gov>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: memory-based VFS

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Fri, 7 May 1999, Chris Costello wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 7, 1999, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:
> > > The v9fs memory-based VFS, written by Aaron Marks, is available at
> > > http://www.acl.lanl.gov/~rminnich/
> >
> >    Doesn't this do the same thing as MFS?
>
> Yes, but without the mount_mfs process kludge it seems to allow for
> single copy, rather than double copy and extra context switches, it
> uses kvm instead of a user process for backing store.

So what would be wrong with using a swap-backed vn(4) and newfs/tunefs/
mounting it?

> My question, can/will this ever be backed by swap?  Also,
> doesn't this limit us to just kvm memory (much smaller than
> total memory) ?
>
> -Alfred

 Brian Feldman                _ __ ___ ____  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org                _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \
     FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!      _ __ | _ \ _ \ |) |
         http://www.freebsd.org           _ |___)___/___/