Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:52:32 -0700
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        "Pedro Giffuni S," <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fun with DOSCMD (was Re: modifying boot mgrs FROM FREEBSD)

Pedro Giffuni S, stands accused of saying :
> Søren Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > Give me the means to run realmode code from within the kernel, and I'll
> > teach syscons how to use it :)
> >
> How does X11 do it? svgalib is supposed to be based on X11, but it seems
> like they nuked everything related with coherence and stability.

  XFree86 opens /dev/mem and /dev/io and other similar devices and maps the
hardware access for the chipset you tell it to use. The server you run then
does a probe and looks for a video card it understands. When it finds it, it
does funky stuff to change the video mode, etc, etc, etc.
  In effect, the XFree86 server acts as if it were the BIOS, except that it
does more than the BIOS ever did. :) Also, somewhere along the way, it tells
syscons to butt out.

--
Jonathan Mini (j_mini@efn.org)

... bleakness ... desolation ... plastic forks ...