Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 20:31:25 -0400
From:      Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        papowell@astart.com
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD?

On Wed, Jun 21, 2000 at 10:16:38PM +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
> Patrick wants feedback on whether or not FreeBSD would be interested in
> adopting LPRng as our official LPR implementation, (src/contrib/lprng,
> presumably).  I said I'd raise the issue on -arch, and then, not being much
> of a printer maven, step back while everyone talks the issue back and forth.
>
> Over to you.

FWIW, LPRng is one of the first ports I add after installing FreeBSD.
I discovered long ago that LPRng does the job considerably better and
easier (on client machines, no printcap is needed at all - just set
$PRINTER to queue@server).  Especially when dealing with filters.
From a purely selfish perspective, it would be easier for me to have
it in the base install, but it's also pretty darn easy to install
from ports.

Aside from the license issue, it probably depends on how much value
the current lpd has.  I personally find it a bit mysterious.
--
Christopher Masto         Senior Network Monkey      NetMonger Communications
chris@netmonger.net        info@netmonger.net        http://www.netmonger.net

Free yourself, free your machine, free the daemon -- http://www.freebsd.org/