Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:43:38 -0500
From:      Doug Kite <dkite@co.lenoir.nc.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   3.0 upgrade woes

First, the questions:

1. After upgrading from 2.2.5-RELEASE to 3.0-RELEASE, I am having to reset the
password for each user. Is this normal? What might have caused this? Is there
anything I can do to recover the old passwords?

2. Since the upgrade, every time I reboot ("shutdown -r now"), /etc/nologin is
created, and I can't telnet in until I manually remove it. Is this a
"feature", or is there some way to fix this?

3. If I upgrade via source from 3.0-RELEASE to 3.0-STABLE (which was my
original intent--see saga below), should I use the "make aout-to-elf" option,
or has the upgrade to 3.0 (done with sysinstall) already done this?

Now, the saga: (optional reading :-)

I wanted to upgrade my system from 2.2.5-RELEASE to 3.0-STABLE. Downloaded the
source tree with cvsup (first time I had used this), did a make
aout-to-elf-build and a make aout-to-elf-install. Everything was going fine
until aout-to-elf-install tried to rebuild the kernel. It gave a error that it
could not install the kernel because my bootblocks and/or boot loader were not
recent enough. I updated them with disklabel, but it still would not work.
Then I thought maybe I needed to reboot so it would see the changes. BIG
MISTAKE. Upon reboot, mount no longer worked. I guess this is because mount
had been converted to elf, but the kernel was aout only (is this right??). I
couldn't get a boot/fixit floppy setup to work (another story), so I just
finally made a 3.0-RELEASE boot floppy, and did a binary install via ftp. That
got the system working again, but I couldn't log in. So I shut down to single
user mode. Eventually got / and /usr clean and mounted, ran passwd, and got
back in. Whew. Can't believe I'm still contemplating a source upgrade to
stable.

If you are still with me, thanks for taking the time to read this long
message.

Any insights appreciated.

Doug Kite