Date:      Mon, 18 Oct 1999 09:46:10 -0600
From:      "Bert Hiddink" <hiddink@galileo.or.cr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Name-based virtual hosting Apache 1.3 FreeBSD 2.2.8

Hello everybodyt,

I saw an inquiry sent by Robert to the FreeBSD forum about Name-based
virtual  hosting. I am quite new on FreeBSD.

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Robert wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I would like very much to host pages from my server using the
> name-based
> virtual hosting in Apache 1.3.3, on FreeBSD 2.2.6 (may upgrade to
> 2.2.8,
> suggestions? :)
>
> I have the vhosting part figured out, but I just need some
> verification
> before I take the actual step of registering another name.. <gulp>
> ..
>
> Is it possible to have more than one domain name assigned to an IP
> address?
> I have been told that it is, and nothing to the contrary thus far.
>
> Therefore.
>
> I assume the way to do this would be to add an entry in
> named.boot , which
> now looks like this
>
> named.boot
> ----------
> cache           .                                named.root
> primary         namodn.com              named.namodn
> primary         0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA    localhost.rev
> ----------
>
> to something like this
>
> named.boot.correct?
> ----------
> cache           .                                     named.root
> primary         namodn.com                   named.namodn
> primary         0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA   localhost.rev
> primary 	      customer.com	                named.customer
> ----------
>
> then mime my (working) named.namodn, which uses ns1.namodn.com,
> and have
> an ns1.customer.com all set up in named.customer ...
>
> Would this work?

I have  a LAN Windows/FreeBSD just for developing purposes. I would
like to implement here the name-based virtual hosting feature of
Apache 1.3. I got the httpd.conf (virtual hosting part) like this:

NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.10

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>
DocumentRoot /usr/www/users
ServerName galileo1.local.galileo.or.cr
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>
DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/galileo
ServerName local.sipromicro.com
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>
DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/galileo/hp-galileo
ServerName local.galileo.or.cr
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>
DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/coopnet/coopup
ServerName local.coopnetupdate.org
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>
DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/coopnet
ServerName local.coopnetaldia.org
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>
DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/empresa/aenet
ServerName local.associate-expert.net
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>
DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/empresa
ServerName local.microempresa.org
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>
DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/htdocs
ServerName local.apache.org
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost 192.168.1.10>
DocumentRoot /usr/www/users/coninpym
ServerName local.coninpyme.org
</VirtualHost>

When I call  now f.e. http://local.sipromicro.com from the Netscape
browser installed on the FreeBSD-server, it opens correctly the
corresponding page.

However, when I do the same from a Windows machine in the LAN, it
does not recognize this URL. Only when I call the IP-address
192.168.1.10, it opens the /usr/www/users/ directory.

Reading your message above, I suppose I have to configure the files
in /etc/named.db/ on the FreeBSD server, in order to get the problem
fixed.

Could you give some hints to get this done, taking into account the
httpd-configuration showed above? Do I need to set up a primary or
secondary server? Could you help me with some sample files for
/etc/named.db/?

Many thanks in advance for your appreciated help!

Regards,

-brt

   Bert Hiddink, FUNDACION GALILEO
   Correo electronico: hiddink@galileo.or.cr
   Sitio: http://www.galileo.or.cr
   Tel. (506) 280 8683, telefax. (506) 280 8847