Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 12:18:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        y@FreeBSD.ORG (x)
Cc:        chinalaw@qis.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free BSD Questions

In a previous message, x said:

> On Fri, 8 May 1998, Chase Paglee wrote:
>
> >2.    Does FreeBSD support Immation 120MB floppy drive?
>
> Floppy drives are not [no longer actually] officially supported,
> as I recently found out, HOWEVER, there ARE hooks in there if
> you are willing to play.  Be aware however that floppy tapes
> really  suck for reliability (on ANY platform).  We are using
> QIC02 (Wangtek) with good results, and you can get these old
> puppies for like $10.00 apiece!

The LS-120 isn't a tape, it's a floppy and (ZIP-like) cartridge.
It is supported in 2.2.6-RELEASE and better.

> >3.    Is there any way to run FreeBSD from floppy?
>
> Yes, but dont bother, it's just not worth the effort...  You
> can (technically) boot NT from a floppy too, but *would* you???

There are legimate uses for a boot floppy. You won't get very
fair for general use. But for custom installs and repairs it's
very nice to have.

And you could probably do a small system on the LS-120. That would
be cool to try.

> >5.    Do I have to have XWindows to run Netscape on FreeBSD?
>
> Dunno.  Dont use browsers on *nix platforms.

Yes. It is an X application.

> >6.    Which version of Netscape should I run on FreeBSD?

4.05 or 4.05.

--
I began to sense faintly that secrecy is the keystone of all tyranny.
Not force, but secrecy... censorship.  When any government, or any people

                                "Revolt in 2100" by Robert Heinlein