Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2003 11:24:15 +0200
From:      "Artyom V. Viklenko" <artem@mipk-kspu.kharkov.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 3.3

Søren Klintrup wrote:
> itchibahn wrote:
>
>>Hi, I currently have FBSD 3.3-TABLE and wanting to upgrade.  I've
>>searched for docs but could't find real helpful info.
>>
>>Is there anything I should be aware of (besides a good backup) before
>>upgrading from 3.3 to 4.7?  Can I just use sysinstall to upgrade?
>

> a sysinstall upgrade SHOULD work (have not tried), however if you want to do
> it the buildworld/installworld way you cannot just do a complete update.
>
> One way to do the upgrade is do a sysinstall binary upgrade to get all your
> binary files/libs up to date, and then do a buildworld/kernel/installworld -
> finishing up with a mergemaster
>
> Always remember to read UPDATING in /usr/src after doing a cvsup - this
> should work just fine.
>
> If the machine is important and you don't want to "risk" it - you can
> upgrade each minor version one at a time (ie 4.2->4.3 etc etc) doing
> buildworlds and reading UPDATING each time tracking every change - this is
> the "safe" way to do it, especially if you aren't too sure how to do the
> update :-)

This is wery long procedure... And what about additional packages?
They all should be reinstalled/updated. IMHO, much better would be
to install new system and merge configuration into it from old one.
This was my scenario many-many months ago ( move from 3.3-RELEASE to
4.1.1-RELEASE ).

--
        Sincerely yours,
                          Artyom V. Viklenko.